Sunday, March 7, 2010

Justin Bieber, teen sensation or pre-pubescent flash in the pan?

When Cole and I were discussing the stratospheric launch to popularity of Justin Bieber, I intended to wax philosophic about how he should enjoy it while he's got it cuz it ain't gonna last. I intended to use Billy Gilman as a case study and example of a pre-pubescent "voice of an angel" superstar who crashes back down to earth once he starts getting those tingly feelings in his naughty bits. As I did some research though, I found one big difference between the two. Billy Gilman rose to fame in 2000 with his song "One Voice", when he was 12 years old, scoring a top 20 Billboard country hit. By 2005, he was no longer with Sony's Epic Records, and on a small indie label. The difference of 5 years?

Puberty.

Your voice changes, your career is over.

But it would appear that Justin Bieber may have the upper hand in this comparison because he's already 16. Most boys go through the "squeaky teen" phase around 15 or so.

From what I can see, there are two ways this can go:

1) Justin's voice already changed, he got lucky and can still sing like a choirboy, and will be putting out hits for years.

B) He's a late bloomer and will be screwed in a matter of months when he wakes up one day sounding like Peter Brady.

- Justin (the one whose voice changed a long time ago)

1 comment:

  1. Honestly Justin, I think I'll have to chose option C. I just calls 'em like I sees 'em and I see Bieber going the way of David Archuleta. Adorable and screamingly popular for a hot minute, then poof... he disappears, albeit sadly, into a crowd of forgettable faces.

    His voice may not be changing much more, but you better believe the rest of him will. Whether the change is good or bad, it will still most likely result in being forgotten when his target audience finally gets a first boyfriend.

    ReplyDelete